Within a decade the capital of Estonia has become a dynamic, elegant and interesting city. This architectural treasure is full of wonderful examples of modern architecture, which demonstrate the nation's recovered confidence.
Tallinn's panorama from Toompea Hill testifies of the very wise care of the historical heritage. The city has been marked on the Western European map for the first time in 1154. It was named Tallinn in 1219, when after occupation the Danes built a fortress on Toompea Hill. "Tallinn" is short for the Estonian title "taani linnus", which means "Danish fortress". However, up to 1918, when Estonia announced its independence, the city officially used to be called Reval - the name given by the Danes. With the arrival of the German merchants in 1230 the city was divided into the Upper Town (Toompea) and the Lower Town.
In 1347 the king of Denmark sold Tallinn to Germans. During 14th-15th centuries Tallinn was a prosperous city, one of the most important members of the powerful Hanseatic League. Immaculately reconstructed old town, which was included into the list of UNESCO World Cultural Heritage, is a true monument for the golden age of those days.
With regained independence in 1991 and improved air, as well as sea transport links with the Western Europe, Tallinn became easily accessible. The city keeps close relations with the neighbouring Finland, the ferry line between Tallinn and Helsinki is one of the busiest in the world.